Members of the UWM faculty may transfer materials to educational or non-profit organizations in accordance with the Biological Material Transfer Agreement, unless the material belongs to the UWM Research Foundation, in which case the application begins with processing. Why is an agreement needed for the transfer of equipment? Under the U.S. Export Control Act, a license may be required from the Bureau of Industry and Security or the Commerce Department for the export of certain materials. For example, human pathogens, zoonoses, toxins, animal pathogens, genetically modified microorganisms, plant pathogens, radioactive materials, magnetic metals, propellants and ceramic materials. Anyone considering transferring materials controlled by the Commerce Department or the State Department outside the United States should work with UH export control officer Sandy Brown to obtain the necessary license. There are civil and criminal penalties for violations of export management regulations. MtAs/DBA define the rights, rights and obligations of both parties. The Research Affairs – Financial Management (RAFM) Contracts The analyst reviews and approves these agreements for both the transfer of outgoing equipment and data requests and the transfer of all data and data requests received. Our goal is to ensure that MTAs/DTAs do not restrict their academic freedom or hinder future research, protect potential LLU inventions and intellectual property, and contain DeEE (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) rules. An MTA must define the rights of the parties in the first place with respect to the scope of the use of the material, confidentiality, publication, intellectual property (IP). In general, these agreements do not involve payment for equipment, although transportation costs may be required. MTAs protect Thomas Jefferson University`s intellectual property rights in the results of research conducted with Jefferson`s resources.

An MTA may also provide Jefferson with valuable protection against liability for transferred materials and the rights of auditors to publish the results of research on materials obtained by third parties. External entities can have their own MTAs. All of these documents must be forwarded to the ORSP for verification and academic signature. If the MTA contains clauses that conflict with existing agreements or conflicts with academic and/or federal policies, ORSP negotiates with the external entity to resolve the situation. After a successful negotiation, the document is signed and returned to the donor. If the transmitting entity does not have a standard MTA, ORSP makes our model available to the donor and receives the necessary signatures.